This project details a small & simple, but very powerful USB charger for your mp3 player, camera, cell phone, and just about any other gadget you can plug into a USB port to charge! (See below for compatibility tests)
The charger circuitry and 2 AA batteries fit into an Altoids gum tin, and will run your iPod for hours! 2.5x more than you'd get from a 9V USB charger! (See Process for math/calculations) You can use rechargable batteries too.
- Version 3 now works with iPhones and newer iGadgets!
- 5V output @ 500mA output
- Fits in your pocket
- Recharges just about any gadget with a USB cable
- Uses any AA batteries!
- Upgrade to C or D cells for a mega battery pack
- iPhone (all types): 3/4 full recharge
- iPod video (tested, using alkaline batteries): 3hrs more video (1 full recharge)
- iPod mini (tested w/rechargables): 26 hours more (1.5 full recharges)
- iPod nano: 4 full recharges!
- iPod shuffle : 60 hours more , 5 full recharges!
This project is suitable for beginners, some soldering tools are necessary but even if you've never soldered before it should be pretty easy. You can etch a circuitboard and/or breadboard this up, or simply buy a kit from the webshop.
Read what some people have to say! (And let me know if you have a review you'd like linked to from here)
Mintyboost® is a registered trademark of Adafruit Industries